HELLERMANNTYTON XLPE LUGS AND FERRULES – MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE
HellermannTyton’s SABS approved range of XLPE lugs and ferrules are designed for single and multi-core XLPE (cross-linked polyethylene insulation) cable applications and is suitable for usage in medium voltage distribution networks such as utilities, power distribution and mining.
In general, lugs and ferrules are fixed to the cables and wires by inserting the conductor/s into the ‘barrel’ (tube) of the device and then ‘crimping’ (squeezing) the ‘barrel’ onto the conductor/s to form a secure mechanical and electrical joint.
In order to achieve this secure mechanical and electrical joint, the right lug or ferrule needs to be selected according to the cable used and the area of application.
Why use a HellermannTyton XLPE lug and XLPE ferrule with XLPE cable?
- XLPE cable is a compacted cable resulting in smaller core sizes than standard cable.
- XLPE lugs and ferrules internal diameter are smaller than standard lugs and ferrules to fit the XLPE core size and to prevent over-crimping.
- XLPE cables are used mainly in distribution networks to prevent moisture ingress.
- XLPE lugs have no inspection window aiding the sealing of the cable end.
- XLPE lugs have a thicker wall improving the crimp and therefore better heat dissipation (no hot joints).
- SABS approved (SANS IEC 61238-1:2003) lugs and ferrules.
Why standard lugs and ferrules should not be used on XLPE cables.
- Standard lugs and ferrules need to be over-crimped or double crimped, which can cause hot spots and the lug to fail or burn-off.
- Over crimping damages a lug and therefore limits the standard lug’s lifetime performance.
- Standard lugs and ferrules have an inspection window and therefore allows water ingress.
- Furthermore, HellermannTyton offers a full range of hydraulic crimping tools for XLPE lugs and ferrules.
Main differences between XLPE cable and standard cable
More info: +27 (0)11 879 6648